Saturday, December 19, 2009

Art and Creativity - where are they nowadays?

I've been hearing alot about this guy on fb (a classmate of mine) posting his art on there. These art pieces are mostly paintings, from what i can gather. And people praise is work and so on...but why? I get soooo mad when i hear "Wow, mrX is a very good painter!" TBH, I have no doubt that he's a very good painter, I know him - he's very talented with his hands, with painting and so on. What gets to me is that there is nothing creative about his work!!! Nothign original, nothing that's not based on work that's already done! For example, along time ago I heard he did a painting of batman's Joker, and I saw it...it was...well, the joker, most likely from a photo he copied from. Then, just recently, he made a painting of an actress from highschool musical, and omgg, the praise he got for it is just astounding. He just friggin' copied it!!! What really pisses me off is that I know I can;t change how people value things if they looks good and if they accurately represent the real life counterparts. If a painting of joker looks like joker, ppl go all gaga over it. For me, I stopped with copying - since elementary school. I have obviously copied before, but that was for assignments. In gr11/12, I was assigned to do a big painting of my face, interpreted with diff colors. I got plenty of complements for it afterwards, alot of "That totally looks like you." I DON't CARE! It's nto creative, it shows no creativity beyond the changes of the color of my face. What good is a piece of art, when it's an exact replica (but, say, it's art formed change from a photo to a painting) of the original? You're painting is one out of a billion other photos. What value does it have? I really do wish ppl cna change their views, but i hope to keep on track to staying to my creative side, instead of just copying portraits of famous ppl in the world. Maybe if i posted my paintings on fb, I would change ppl's minds of what is really creatve.Haha, maybe, maybe...

I just wish there's more creativity in the world. I want my work to represent me - and I, for sure, am not a replica. I hope for ppl to follow the same way, and avoid basing their work on real world things/ppl.

No comments: